In Matthew chapter seven, Jesus talks about the importance of a foundation for a home. But, just like in Proverbs 24:3-4, what he’s really talking about is people, and in this case, the need for an inner, spiritual foundation.
Couples who want their marriage to survive storms and shifting sands, need to make sure they have a foundation that will last a lifetime. WisdomBuilt provides that foundation. And, these Biblical Principles of Marriage, themselves, are built on six foundational beliefs that serve as the basis for my work with couples.
- There is a God, and he has revealed himself to people.
- God made human beings, both male and female, in his likeness, the Imago Dei.
- God designed marriage to be a picture of the love relationship he wants to have with people.
- Marriage is the foundational relationship of the family and, therefore, the foundational relationship of society.
- The Bible contains key principles which will help a couple develop a long-lasting, fulfilling, happy marriage.
- God wants marriage to succeed.
Several years ago, my wife and I did a short-term missions trip to Budapest, Hungary, teaching a three-week intensive class at the Hungarian Bible college, and preaching at churches in and around the city. Our hosts were a missionary family that allowed us to stay in an upstairs bedroom in their home.
Looking out a second-story window, we noticed the neighbors were building another home on their property, immediately behind the main house. The missionaries explained that it was customary for children to grow up and live on the same property as their parents. The new building was for their son, who was about to get married. The foundation was already in place, and every day, we came back to the house, looked out the window, and followed the progress. We watched the walls grow higher as new rows of bricks were added.
That’s the model used in WisdomBuilt. The insight gained from the three sources of wisdom (the Bible, clinical research, and personal experience) will serve as your foundation. The twelve Biblical Principles of Marriage will be the bricks that you add to the walls of your house These principles, in groups of three, will comprise different treasures that’ll decorate your home, your marriage, and your life.